Sunday, November 20, 2011

WEEKLY WORD


Life is hard, but God is good.

"These things I have spoken to you so that in Me you may have peace. In the world, you WILL have tribulation; but be of good cheer. I have overcome the world!" 

John 16:33


I've been wanting to write about this for weeks. The past few months have been so hard. My mind has been so consumed with my mistakes, shortcomings and character flaws. I'm more stressed than I have been in a long time. Seriously--have you ever felt like you just can't catch a break?!? 

I'm so ready for my life to be easy! Sometimes I'm overcome with emotion just thinking about how overwhelmed I am. I'm pulled in so many directions mentally, emotionally, financially, spiritually! Today it just all came to a point where I crashed. I went into my grandma's room and cried to her about how busy and stressed and worried I am. She held me and said, "Yes my dear, life just gets harder and harder, doesn't it?" 

She's so right! Life just keeps getting harder and harder. But this world is not supposed to be an easy place to live. Jesus told us that we WILL have tribulation in this life. We can't escape it. There will be times when we're stressed. There will be times when we're unhappy, depressed and overwhelmed. We will hurt people and people will hurt us. There are times when we feel utterly alone and misunderstood...

But even in all this, God says we're to be joyful and "have cheer." HUH? How can we be cheerful when all of these terrible things are going on in our lives? By remembering that Jesus is our victory! Jesus has already overcome this world. Nothing that happens to us in this life is greater than what Jesus did for each of us on Calvary. When we really take hold of the promise that Christ has already overcome this world and all of the painful situations we experience here, we can totally transform the way we deal with daily stress. I'm not there yet, but I honestly believe that today's verse has given me so much strength since I first read it on my boyfriend's sister's Facebook page. I still have days like today when I reach my breaking point, but now as I write this, I'm reminded of the promise that Jesus has already overcome this life, and my strength has been restored!

I hope that this verse is able to provide you with some comfort as you go through your own trials. Remember that your faith in Jesus' promise that He has overcome the world is what will help you to overcome your own situations (1 John 5:4). This week, let's remind ourselves of these promises. Be encouraged!


No comments:

Post a Comment