Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving: A Double Take


Thanksgiving 2011 came and went... and it was so nice. A very low key day, with close family and good times. We shot "turkeys" in the backyard (balloons), stuffed ourselves to the bursting point (although once again I failed to realize my full potential - how come I can never eat as much at Thanksgiving as I can at other times???) and I even went undefeated in Wii Sport boxing.

As always, there is much, much, much to be thankful for. I have the love and support of an amazing family, caring and dedicated friends, a really great job that fits perfectly into my life right now, and a God who is looking out for me and gives me more grace than I could ever begin to deserve.

AND the weather was beautiful. I kept the food prep simple this year (see more below) and had plenty of time to shoot some photos. No, I wasn't suffering from multiple personality disorder or dreaming about a twin sister; I just decided to totally rip off a clever photo idea I saw online. It made editing pictures twice the usual fun... and I am definitely doing this again sometime. ;)


What I'm Wearing:
  • Military Jacket by CHEROKEE - hand-me-down
  • Blouse by ELLE - thrifted
  • Jeans by Paris Blues - thrifted
  • Shoes by FRANCO SARTO - from DSW
  • Earrings - from Kohl's

The blouse was made in Indonesia, looks as if it is handmade, and has these cute little flower pinwheels around the yoked neckline. I am just crazy about this orange-y red color - so much fun to wear! The jeans and jacket are favorites of mine, as are the shoes (which I've had for almost four years now) but I ended up ditching them for some black flats (that I just got as Savers for $5) before the party started. High heels are not the most practical way to carry around a person stuffed full of turkey. :P


For the first time in a while, I didn't go crazy and make my usual sweet desserts or fancy recipes. Instead, I stuck to a couple of appetizers for earlier in the day. I gave Martha Stewart's Sweet Onion Dip a try. At first, I was disappointed with the way it tasted, but after it sat in the fridge overnight it was delicious. The onions really soaked through the whole thing and made it sweet and yummy. It was a big hit.

I also cooked a basic Cheese Fondue (I've been using this recipe for years - it's so easy!) which is always popular. Yesterday was no exception.

This was the first year that I decided to brave the crowds and try a little bit of "Black Friday" shopping. Lydia and I pried our eyes open until midnight and headed over to Kohl's to shop their deals. We pulled into the parking lot to find banners proclaiming that (contrary to the flyers) it didn't start until 1 am. We both said "forget it," and thus ended our "Black Friday" adventures. We'll see if I get up the courage to join the insanity next year...
__________________________________________________

So, how was your Thanksgiving? Did you make anything new, wear anything special, or drag yourself out of bed for the shopping madness? I want to hear all about it! :)

I'm so thankful for everyone who takes the time to read the blog. God bless you.

-Amanda xo

P.S. I totally forgot to mention the new hair! I've actually had it this way for about a month now, and really love it. I've wanted a long bob for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. It's been so much fun trying different styles - straight, super curly, ends-flipped-out-like-Mary-Tayler-Moore... a total blast. I'm planning on growing it back out again, but am pretty sure this style will be revisited sometime in the future. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment